So, you've just been introduced to cardmaking and you're excited to get started on your new hobby adventure. But, you just don't know where to begin. Just take a SIP (Stamps, Ink & Paper)
As Stampin' Up!'s product offering is quite large, I've compiled a suggested list of Stamps, Ink, Paper and Tools for you to start with. In addition, you'll find the measurements on how to make a standard size card.
- w = wood mount (blocks included)
- c = clear mount & blocks not included (see below)
- Learn about the difference between wood & clear mount and photopolymer here
- Dawn's Tips for assembling clear mount stamps (skip ahead to 2:48 time mark)
(from 2015/2016 Annual Catalog - ends 5/31/16 )
- All Occasions
- Gorgeous Grunge (130514w or 130517c)
- Lovely as a Tree (128655w or 127793c)
- Papillon Potpourri (132058w or 123759c) - coordinating punches
- Thoughts & Prayers (128751w or 127805c)
- Work of Art (134111w or 134114c)
- Sheltering Tree (137163 photopolymer)
- Butterfly Basics (138813w, 138816c,137154 photopolymer)
Stamps & Punches - bundled price to save 10%
- Badges & Banners Stamp Set and Best Badge Punch (142333w 142334c)
- Bunch of Blossoms Stamp Set and Blossom Builder Punch (142345 photopolymer)
- Foxy Friends Stamp Set and Fox Builder Punch (142326 photopolymer)
- Thoughtful Banners Stamp Set and Duet Banner Punch (142330 photopolymer)
- More bundles can be found here
- Oh Happy Day Card Kit (142725 photopolymer)
- Watercolor Wishes Card Kit (140406 photopolymer)
- Designer Tin of Cards Kit (141651) (stamp set listed under "greetings")
- Paper Pumpkin
Stampin' Up! has over 50 colors of inkpads to choose from!
A good place to start is with your favorite colors. But if you can't decide, then I recommend getting one of Stampin' Up! color collections. There are several to choose from, the Brights Collection being the most popular. Plus you'll save $10 when you purchase them in their full collections (vs. purchasing them separately).
- 131182 Brights Collection (10 inkpads)
- 131183 Neutrals Collection (6 inkpads) - my favorite!
- 131184 Regals Collection (10 inkpads)
- 131185 Subtles Collection (10 inkpads)
- 101406 Stazon Jet Black (I highly recommend getting this color)
After you've selected your ink, then you'll want to get an assortment pack of matching cardstock - each pack comes with 20 sheets, 2 of 10 colors 8-1/2" x 11".
- 131190 Brights Collection
- 131191 Neutrals Collection
- 131192 Regals Collection
- 131193 Subtles Collection
- 100730 Whisper White 40 sheets (used as a layer for stamping on)
- 140272 Thick Whisper White 24 sheets (used for card bases)
- 107301 Envelopes
Now you'll need some basic tools. Just like cooking, crafting requires some basic tools to get started.
- 137417 Flower Medallion Punch (use with "Crazy About You" stamp set)
- 141491 Classic Label Punch (use with "Teeny Tiny Wishes" stamp set)
- 129406 Bitty Butterfly (use with Papillon Potpourri)
- 127526 Elegant Butterfly (use with Papillon Potpourri)
- Punches are a crafter's best friend - you can never have too many of them!!
- TIP: The best way to use them is to stamp first, then punch.
If you've decided on Clear Mount or Photopolymer Stamps, then you'll need a few blocks. As these type of stamps are not a permanent mount, the blocks do not come with the stamp set (unlike wood mount). Stampin' Up! has 9 sizes of clear blocks. You can purchase them separately or in a bundle. Of course, I recommend the bundle as you'll save 10%
- 118491 Clear Block Bundle (includes all 9 blocks)
Two ways to get there:
- Start with 8-1/2 x 11" sheet of cardstock. Then cut to create a "card base":
- Option 1: Cut in half the long way at 4-1/4" to get 4-1/4" x 11"
- Option 2: Cut in half the other direction at 5-1/2" to get 5-1/2" x 8-1/2"
- For either option - fold card base in half
- Finished folded size will measure 5-1/2" x 4-1/4"
- Additional layers are typically sized at:
- 4" x 5-1/4"
- 3-3/4" x 5"
Visit my DOstamping Resource Library to learn more about cardmaking. It's filled with over 400 techniques, tutorials, tips and more for using rubberstamping, Big Shot and scrapbooking products! (And growing every day!)
Ready to shop?
DOstamping Loyalty Rewards (Earn free stamps on orders of $50 or more)
Got questions or need a Stampin' Up! catalog?
Contact Dawn at email@example.com.