Perfect Peacock Anniversary
June 15, 2015
If ever there was an image begging to be colored, it's this majestic peacock on a branch. The Perfect Peacock stamp is not a typical image I would purchase. As much as it begs to be colored, it's really too much coloring for me. However, a dear friend of my collects peacocks and I just had to get it!
This past weekend she and her husband celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. So I finally put stamp to paper and did a little experimenting with coloring. As coloring is not my forte, it did take a couple tries. Initially, I embossed the peacock in gold (for their 50th) and started coloring. But the color wasn't popping the way I had hoped it would. So "take two" seemed to work and here's what I did:
- Start with a 3-7/8" x 5-1/8" piece of Shimmery White cardstock (it's my preferred paper to use when I'm coloring with water...notice I didn't say watercolor. I'm so not a watercolorer!)
- Stamp Perfect Peacock with Versamark ink and heat emboss with Clear Embossing Powder.
- Color using Aqua Painters (I prefer mine a bit more on the dry side, so I have more control)
- Color wash peacock with Tempting Turquoise ink, let dry
- Add details to feathers/body with Island Indigo and Elegant Eggplant inks
- Color wash flower with Wisteria Wonder ink, let dry
- Add details to flowers with Elegant Eggplant
- Color wash leaves with Pear Pizzazz ink, let dry
- Add details to leaves with Old Olive ink
- I did add another layer of Island Indigo ink to the feathers, as I wanted the color to be a little more intense
I'm pleased as a peacock on how this turned out (I know, I could resist)! It did take a little time to find what would work, but once I got in my coloring rhythm, it went pretty fast. I would make another one (if the occasion called for it).
Actually, I thought the peacock could be stamped in a single color and would make great thank you cards. Hmm...I think I'll have to put some together for her.
Dawn's Stamping Supplies
- Become a STAR and get 2 extra stamp sets - ends 6/30
- Download: 2015-16 Annual Catalog PDF (large file)
- Don't forget to check out this weeks 25% off Weekly Deals
- Visit the Clearance Rack - up to 80% off
- Learn about DOstamping Rewards Programs
- June VIP Hostess Code = 4HZS62KR (learn more here)