It's time for another DOstamperSTARS Thursday Challenge. This week we're having a "Sketch Pad" challenge.
For today's card I reached for the exclusive Merry Patterns stamp set. It had just arrived and I was itchin' to play with it. It's a free stamp set during September & October for either a $300 order or party (see the Merry Patterns promotion details & stamp set below).
Initially I was having trouble with the sketch. I think I may have cut my DSP too narrow and I wasn't happy with the result. But I wasn't going to cut up more DSP (if you know what I mean - it was a make it work moment!)
So I starting moving pieces of paper around and it came together with the center of the card being inspired by the sketch, then added to a card base. In the end...I really like the way it turned out, and I think I kept the spirit of the sketch.
Merry Patterns Candle card
- Adhere 4 x 2" piece of Christmas Around The World Designer Series Paper to 4-1/4" x 3-1/4" Basic Black cardstock. They adhere to folded 11" x 4-1/4" Real Red card base.
- Stamp greeting (from Merry Patterns stamp set) with black ink.
- Create Garden Green banner - cut each end of 1" x 5-1/2" strip with Triple Banner Punch. Adhere to card front.
- Stamp candle image with Archival Basic Black ink on Watercolor paper. Die cut with largest oval size from Stitched Shapes Framelits Dies. Use Aqua Painter to color image as follows:
- Real Red = candles
- Smokey Slate = to add a little depth to the candle edges (use a very light touch)
- Daffodil Delight = flames (used stamp image first, then added more color with Aqua Painter). Also continue to blend color above candles
- Garden Green = pine bough. I watered down the paper a little first. Then stamped many boughs. They blended on their own. When dry - I added more stamped boughs and blends the edges upwards along the sides of the candles
- Once dry - adhere to card with Stampin' Dimensionals.
- Color Basic Pearl Jewels with red Sharpie Marker and attach to card.
Truth be told...at first I was not very happy with my watercoloring results. I'm not the best at it - it's still very much a practice for me. But after taking a little break (read...walk away), I came back with fresh eyes and I thought, "that's not looking as bad as I thought." I have to do that sometimes...walk away. Does that happen to you?
Between Stampin' Up!'s Annual Catalog and the new Holiday Catalog, if you have a big wish List ($300 or more)...you could get the Merry Patterns stamp set for free! Or get your friends together and I can help you with party orders.
- Shop with Dawn
- Join my Team
- Be a Paper Pumpkin Subscriber - 50% off 1st month (promo code: HALFOFF0917) - ends 9/10
- Dawn's Product Shares - Holiday Shares available
Attention email subscribers: If you are reading this from your email, please CLICK HERE to see all of this week's participants.
DOstamping Supplies (click on products to shop online)
FREE stamp set with Merry Patterns Promotion
Merry Patterns Promotion Details:
- Dates: September 1–October 31
- The Merry Patterns Stamp Set is exclusive to the host promotion and will not be available after October 31
- Free with qualifying $300 order (before shipping and handling)
- The Merry Patterns Stamp Set is in addition to Stampin’ Rewards - yay!!!
- PRINT: Merry Patterns Flyer
Fall into Paper Pumpkin Savings! - ends 9/10
- For who: new month-to-month subscribers qualify for the 50% discount.
- How to participate: new subscribers must join by Monday, September 10, 2017 at 11:50 PM (MT).
- Discount: 50% discount only applies to the new subscriber’s first kit. After that, the price for each month’s kit will return to the regular price of $19.95
- Enter promo code: HALFOFF0917
Subscribe with Dawn: